Friday, November 21, 2008

Being A Landlord Sucks

Been pretty busy lately, and will be busy for a couple weeks, it looks like. I had a really, really bad tenant in one of our New Hampshire houses. He started violating the terms of the lease the same day he signed the lease 15 months ago. And in spite of all the breaks I gave that family, they just kept putting the screws to me.

Rent for a 3 bedroom home on two private acres in Deerfield runs an average of $1500 a month. I only charged them $1200. Then I reduced their rent another $200 a month in exchange for them caretaking the property. They took the money, but never lifted a finger to take care of the place. They screwed over the gas company, and could no longer get gas from them. They claimed poverty so I paid for new tanks from a different company, and paid $131 for the first 50 gallons. I paid over $220 for K-1 fuel when they were broke. I gave them three weeks free rent when they cried poverty. I even gave them an extra $200 last February when he said they had a choice between heat and food. I really did try to be a good landlord.

What I got: they trashed the place, inside and out. They did almost $1000 in damage to the heating system by putting #2 oil in a K-1 tank. They disconnected the propane tanks when they ran out, and hooked the house up to a 5 gallon propane tank used for BBQ grills. They stopped paying rent altogether in August. As for being in poverty - they bought a new car, a new truck and a motorcycle. So much for poverty - I should be that poor!

Well, they complained I was a lousy landlord when I served the eviction notice. They refused to leave, even though NH law says there is no other choice because the home is classed as "unrestricted property". So, I had to get a writ served by the sheriff. They ignored it. I took them to court - they told the judge what a rotten landlord I was, and what a rotten place the home was. The judge asked, "If they are as bad as all that, why have you refused to leave? Why are you fighting so hard to stay?"

The judge was familiar with the property in question, and new it was a nice place. So, he ordered them to leave or the sheriff would be ordered to arrest them for trespassing.

Well, they left last weekend (two months after the eviction), and I have been going to NH almost daily to do all the fixing up and cleaning. I mean, the place was TRASHED! Doors ripped off the hinges. Floors cruddy. Their dog ripped apart the screens. Gouges in the walls. Windows so dirty you cannot see outside. Ceiling tiles ripped out. Carpets ruined. And they stole the microwave. I'm surprised they didn't rip out the dishwasher, or steal the upright freezer (yeah, my homes are well-endowed).

The previous tenant was worse - did over $10,000 in damage. Took three months to get it ready to be rented again. Thinking about it, I think it would be more cost-effective to leave it vacant. So far, the last two tenants, covering three years, cost me nearly $19,000. I only collected just under $17,000 in rents.

Oh, it's fun being a landlord! Please bear with me if I slack off on this blog a bit until I get that place back in shape. I'll still write - just not as often.

Meanwhile, my family and I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving. May you eat all you desire, and not gain a pound :o)

/

No comments: