Sunday, May 24, 2009

Car Buff of 2009

Someone posed a fair question concerning the nominees for Car Buff of the Year. They wondered what happens if we at HotKarz do not like the person nominated - would we choose a "favorite" person?

First, there are no people amongst you that I do not like.

Most folks who know me, also know that I would never play favorites in any contest. I always strive for fairness in all things. I do not play favorites. That simply is not my way.

While I will have the final say (someone must, after all, and I trust me), I will not nominate anyone, and the individual chosen MUST be nominated by someone. So, my choices will be limited. From those choices, I will use information gathered from others, and from my own experience, to try and choose the individual that seems to stand out - as I said, several factors will be considered. Favoritism will not be one of them. And each year it will be someone different.

I will give serious consideration to any overwhelming number of folks to nominate one person. But this is not a popularity contest. Popularity is important, and a valid factor, but it is not the only factor. If I were to be a judge at a car show, I would judge by points. The same is true with this contest - I will judge according to "points" earned when certain factors are considered. Those factors include, but are not limited to: popularity; friendliness; helpfulness; contribution to the hobby; active participation & dedication (goes to many events, even from long distances); effort put into his/her vehicle(s); etc.

I am absolutely certain that the award could legitimately go to almost any one of you fine folks. But the fact remains it must be narrowed to one, even if the actual facts create a 10-way tie.

In the event of any actual tie, I would simply pick one of the tied participants randomly - flip of the coin, so to speak.

But as I said - yes, ultimately the final decision rests with me :o) I do not get to play, so I can at least referee. And is it likely the winner will be someone I like? Of course - I like personable, friendly, helpful folks who contribute and actively participate and care for their vehicles. So, yup, it will likely be someone I like - no matter who it turns out to be. But the winner will not win BECAUSE I like him or her. It will be the other way 'round!

/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let us all hope so