Friday, September 15, 2017

High Gloss Without Any Waxing

Today I decided to try something new for a very high gloss automobile finish that needs no waxing, and is hydrophobic (water sheets off, no streaks, no spots)

I used our 1980 Porsche 924 as my guinea pig.

First, I gave it a wet sanding, then a good buff. Then a good washing. To remove any buffing compound, I buffed again with Meguiar's ULTIMATE compound. I then washed the entire car with Meguiar's WASH Plus, which is more than just a wash - it has microscopic abrasives that further strip off any residue from waxes and buffing compound.

I followed up with an IPA wash (15% solution of isopropyl alcohol & water)

Here is the result - a very high gloss, even though there is NO WAX on the vehicle.

And this is only phase 1. Tomorrow I will apply two coats of C-quartz ceramic coating, followed by a coat of RELOAD. According to the manufacturer (and some pro detailers), I should end up with a very, very deep, glass-like gloss that needs no waxing (though you CAN wax it) and is hydrophobic - you can even spray-paint graffiti on it, let it dry, and it supposedly it just wipes off (though my experiment will not go that far!)

And if the results are what I hope for, I will use the same system on our '85 GMC C2500...

Bill

No comments: