Friday, October 5, 2007

An Unusual Format

I have just received a listing of the "classes" that will be judged at the Art of Transportation Car Show (Shaw's Ridge Farm, Sanford, ME) on October 13. It strikes me as rather odd. So, I will go, and see how it shakes out.

But I suspect the "classes" are not classes at all. To understand that, take a look at the list:

Taxpayer's Best of Show
Children's Best of Show
Largest Club Participation
Farthest Distance Driven
Best Rust
Best Chrome
Best Engine
Best Paint
Best Antique
Best Classic
Best Custom
Best Hot Rod
Best Truck
Best Stock
Best Foreign
Best Tuner
Most Unusual

OK, so are these really "classes"? It sounds like the voters will receive a ballot with those classes, and they will choose from the field, rather than choose the best from a specific class. You would choose the car you find to be the most unusual of all the entries in the show, etc. So, it does not appear that the entries will choose a class to appear in - instead, would the voters choose your class for you? I could be wrong, but that is how it appears. My reasoning? Who in their right mind is going to put their car in a "Rust Bucket" class? And what if the owner of the "most unusual" car does not see his car as unusual, and enters it inthe CUSTOM class? And would their not be a lot of conflict if a truck is also stock, or a tuner is also foreign? And just what is considered unusual? Herman Munster certainly did not think his MunsterMobile was unusual. One man's tea is another man's poison! I just have a hard time getting my brain around this format.

My fear is that there may be an entry that is the most unusual stock foreign tuner that has the best paint, best chrome and best engine, is a member of the largest club in attendance, has driven the farthest and is chosen by the taxpayers and the children - and he will get all the trophies. (^.^) (I'm joking, of course)

Seriously, though - how do you award a trophy to the "largest club in attendance" - who do you give it to? Does everyone in that club get one?

So, I will be interested in seeing just what happens - an open field that should be judged by points, with classes that are not classes at all, judged by the participants.

I am sure this will be very interesting, to say the least. I just hope it will not be disappointing. In any case, you can be sure I'll be posting pictures!

No comments: