Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sacopee Valley Show

OK, so I had about a dozen folks harping on how fast I would get this up, and whether or not I would be kind.

If you were at the Sacopee Valley show, you already should know pretty much what this post is going to say, since there seemed to be a consensus among the participants. But for those of you who, for whatever reason, missed this show, please allow me to opine (that's a Bill O'Reilly word).

We could not have asked for better weather, so it started out with a big plus. And, as is expected, the car folks were their own, wonderful selves. In fact, it has been awhile since I laughed so much - everyone just seemed in such a great mood.

The youngun's that were selling 50/50 tickets really got on my nerves - it was OK that they took nearly 15 minutes trying to figure out how to unroll a car-length of tickets. But when I found the young man's Coolatta Cup on the hood of my car, leaving a water ring, I calmly (well, almost calmly) advised him that some folks would shoot him for that. But being the sweetheart that I am, I told him I would only taser him with 5 million volts (^.^)

I have to admit that I found the organization seriously lacking (but not as bad as the Naples Show last week). I think there were only 8 or 10 classes, with but two small trophies per class. And one of those classes - tractors - had no participants. Motorcycles had one. Imagine - classes for motorcycles and tractors, but not for Custom Cars or Trucks!

Now, I know it's not really about trophies, so that is not the issue. The issue rests in the fact that if an organization is going to charge the same entrance fee as other shows, then they should make it just as worthwhile as the other shows - an adequate number of classes, three trophies per class, and trophies big enough so they don't get confused with a '64 Lincoln hood ornament.

There was no class for CUSTOMS, and the only truck class was for 2 wheel drive stock. What happened? Well, because there were so many classes missing, the biggest class turned out to be Special Interest - and most of the vehicles in Special Interest were not suited for it. There was an old, stock Ford Falcon, a Ford Bronco, a Camaro, a custom '51 Ford etc. Each of those should have had a suitable class to be in, but such classes did not exist, so they ended up in SI.

If I were to give the organizers any advice, it would be to read this post. There should be a minimum of 18 classes. Vehicles should be assigned to the appropriate class. Don't buy the "penny apiece" trophies that come from Cracker Jacks. And three trophies per class is the norm. If they do not want to follow the norm, they have no business charging a $5.00 entry fee. And forget the car-length 50/50. It does not matter if everyone gets 50, 0r 5. The ratio and the odds are the same. But it is a pain in the butt to have to get out 100 tickets every time they call a number.

So much for the good points...

I think, all in all, everyone had a good time. I know our little group did. And it was unfortunate that the pizza truck got started so late - by the time the pizza was ready, the show was almost over. But we survived that, too, with laughter and happy hearts.

The best part of any show, of course, is something that we, the car folk, control - sharing ourselves with each other in camaraderie. And we do that oh, so well! And for that, I thank you all.

Bill

No comments: