Wednesday, June 4, 2008

This n' That

As I write this, it is raining. And we do need the rain. Yesterday, the grass in my lawn crunched underfoot because it was so dry. It seems that much of the land within 40 miles of the coast is so sandy that it does not retain water, and dries out too quickly.

My tractor, which hasn't run right since it was "fixed" at V & M Rentals in Gorham, just doesn't seem to want to do anything worthwhile. It ran fine before it was "fixed". I had taken it in for a tuneup, and now it's nothing more than an orange lawn ornament.

Well, for 16 months I have been wondering where I've seen this guy Obama before. Every time he came to the podium to speak his fine rhetoric, it seemed like Deja-Vu. But I couldn't place it - until I watched a repeat of Omen III. I kid you not - they are nearly identical. This guy comes out of nowhere, with no experience or accomplishments. His ability to spin a tale and win over hearts and mind with words, devoid of substance, raises Damien Thorn to a level that is almost cult-ish as he runs for President. People worship him - but cannot really say WHY! The parallel is truly amazing. If not for the fact that it has already made for a good movie, it would make a good movie.

We have only held balloting for the Super Cruise at two locations so far, and already a total of 60 ballots have been cast. So far, there are 16 "contenders". I suspect there will be more as we reach out in other locations. At this early stage, we consider a "contender" to be anyone with two or more votes, though one vehicle currently has 8 votes. A few have 4.

I was going to burn my brush pile, but as I approached it, a rabbit ran out from under it. Considering the time of year, I suspect there may be baby bunnies about 4 weeks old, so I have decided to wait another 2 weeks or so, to insure they have a chance to leave before I torch the pile.

Been listening to a lot of these folks who are really hopped up about "green this" and "green that". But have you ever noticed that most of them have no clue as to what is really green? Take the electric car, for example. It takes more fossil fuels and energy to create the electricity than would have been used if you had just gassed up the tank. And it requires 1.7 gallons of fossil fuels to produce one gallon of ethanol (plowing, planting, fertilizing, irrigating, tracking, processing, then delivering).

I think that those well-meaning folks need to do their homework before promoting something as "green". They will discover that at least half of all "green" solutions are making things worse, not better.

Speaking of green, have y'all seen those "Whizzers" that have been making an appearance at cruises and shows? Motorized bikes, like the ones that debuted back in the '50's. I'll bet they get close to 10,000 miles to a gallon, if you count the time spent running on the fumes. Doesn't take much to get the thing going. And if you run out of petrol, you can just peddle your ass to the next gas station. If you do a lot of back and forth traveling to the store to get a loaf of bread, this could save you some serious bread. But it's not much use for picking up the kids - or staying dry on a day like today.

And it looks like the age of the Hummer is coming to a close the maker wants to stop making them. That's OK - we really do not need tanks on public roads, anyway.

And did you hear on the news that now these "greenies" want us to give up meat, and eat insects, instead. They say it's better for the environment. Well, dying is better for the environment, too, but I'm in no hurry to contribute my bod as fertilizer. Besides, when they bury me, they will have to declare the plot a hazardous waste site.

Laura Richardson, a congresswoman (D-CA) had her home foreclosed. She blames it on the lenders and the economy. But when pressed, it turns out she chose to use her mortgage and property tax money to fund her political campaign. Now she says she should be able to keep the house.

So, if I bet my mortgage money on the ponies, and then the bank forecloses, does she believe I should be entitled to keep my house? Would it be the fault of the lenders and the economy?

Is it me, or am I missing something - two years ago the Democrats promised many substantial changes in the first 90 days if elected. And they were elected, holding a majority in BOTH houses of Congress. To date, however, I do not see any of those changes they promised, and in most cases, they never even got proposed in any bill. In 1994, Republican Newt Gingrich proposed the Contract with America, promising substantial changes in the first 100 days. Many were implented, though others were vetoed by Bill Clinton. So I must ask: is the current Democratic leadership in Congress so ineffective as to be completely useless? Are we not paying them VERY good salaries to actually accomplish something? Being one who likes to get his money's worth, I believe that perhaps they should be fired, and replaced with folks who will actually do something besides bicker and play at politics. I don't much care which party - but I do care that they earn their pay! There is important work to be done in the People's House, and those worthless clowns just are not doing it. Can them. Throw the bums out! Make them get real jobs.

At the Naples show, the young lady announcing the winners had a difficult time pronouncing some names. I think if a person has a name that cannot be pronounced by the MC, then that person should not be allowed to win. Right Dick? :o)

No comments: