Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Officially, A Longer Winter

As you know, I have been predicting a long winter. But the latest bit of "news" took me by surprise - it really is official - this will be the longest winter since 1992.

The rotation of the Earth is always slowing (there is no such thing as perpetual motion). Because of that, every so often the world has to add a second to the atomic clocks. This time, that second will be added at midnight, New Year's Eve. So, this winter will officially be one second longer than most.

But imagine the implications! I have already been reading blogs where the far-left loonies are complaining - really - that it gives Bush more "time" in office, and the second should not be added until after the inauguration on January 20th. Talk about the ridiculous pettiness of whackos.

And then there is New Year's Eve, itself -will "The Ball" have to be momentarily suspended one second before midnight?

I swear, some folks waste a lot of time finding stuff to bitch about! I do it, myself, but I try not to be absurd about it. Those complaining folks were actually serious, and in some cases, angry. Quite a few even blame the slowing rotation of the Earth on the Bush administration. And silly me thought they had gone too far when they blamed him for Katrina!

We can certainly blame Bush for many things, but this ain't one of 'em.

As for me, I think 2008 has already been long enough - and though 2009 does not promise to be much better, I'm still hopeful.

My favorite month is February - with only 28 days, there is less time for things to go wrong. A friend of mine was born on a leap year February 29th. He has a birthday once every 4 years. He'll be 84 before he'll be old enough to drink alcohol. And 260 before he'll be eligible for Social (in)Security.

Well, it's late. Actually, it's 12:40 AM, so it's early, not late. Gotta go.

Later!

/

No comments: