Tuesday, February 17, 2009

???????????

So, I'm sittin' in the coffee shop again this morning and the conversation turned to cosmetic surgery, and how American's have become so vain. It started by a comment about Nancy Pelosi as being the Botox Queen.

George said, "My aunt just had a tummy tuck, but I think it was a waste of money 'cuz it's not noticeable - her drooping juggs get in the way."

"My wife recently had a facelift," claimed Robbie. "Now it's like kissin' a piece of sheetrock."

I tried to keep myself from envisioning that, and wondering how Robbie knows what it's like to kiss sheetrock.

One thing led to another, and the topic turned briefly to religion. Carl said, "I'm gonna be pissed if I die and find out their ain't no God, afterall."

"Not as upset as you'll be if you find out there is," I quipped. "You haven't exactly been a Saint Theresa."

Naturally, the conversation then rolled smoothly to a discussion on AIDS. Robbie said, "We need to do more to protect folks from AIDS."

"Absolutely, " bellowed George. "Them damned aides were the only ones who read that stimulus bill, and told those bums in Congress to vote for it. We need protection from them damned aides."

OK, George. Let's move on to another topic. I quickly steered everyone to focus on a less volatile topic - the turkeys in my yard.

Unfortunately, the mere mention of turkeys immediately brought back the subject of politics.

'Obama should have assigned the entire $787 billion dollars to the Department of Agriculture," said Robbie. "He apparently believes money grows on trees."

So, I once again tried to steer the boys in another direction.

"Did anyone see the video of the mysterious object falling to Earth in central Texas the other day?"

"Yeah," said Carl. "Reminded me of that Chicken Little story. You know, where he went running around yellin' 'The sky is falling'."

"Just like Al Gore," quipped George.

"Just like Sean Hannity," chuckled Robbie.

And the conversation again turned into politics.

Normally, I would enjoy a political discussion. But being one of the few conservatives in a definitely Democratic state, discretion is often the better part of valor. I wolfed down the donut, and gracefully exited stage left.

And I thought to myself that sometimes it is better to just let them have their slugfest, then return later and pick up the pieces.

/

No comments: