Tuesday, July 21, 2009

OOB registration

Someone who sounds like they are with the OOB show, presumably, commented that the OOB price increase is because of increased costs, and is indicative of other shows. While I do not doubt the increase in costs associated with shows, it seems well out-of-line with most shows in the area - most do well enough with a mere $5 fee - some stretch it to $10. But $15 is absurd - I know of no other similar show that charges that much. It reminds me of the government's method of dealing with income vs expenses. In Government, their answer is never to find ways to cut costs, but to increase revenues.

A businessman does the opposite. Over the last 18 years of running my own business, I have never once had to increase prices because I look for ways to become more efficient and cut costs. I think OOB could do the same if the desire was there. For example, they are old enough and big enough to not have to advertise as much anymore, and much of their advertising can be done free, as it is on HotKarz.com, which reaches most of the car buffs in the area. And they can develop other income streams by incorporating things like a silent auction. There is no need to milk the very people who make the show possible - the car folks.

But more to the point is the simple fact that OOB has chosen to increase its fees substantially AND reduce the number of trophies by 33%. Together, I find that to be nothing more than greed, making more money on both ends. If they keep that up, their show will become a lesser show and maybe even eventually die out, as the folks will begin to feel "used" and choose not to attend. I, myself, am having second thoughts about attending. And I have heard the same from several others.

I understand that folks can still get in for $10 if they pre-register. But many will not, because in years past they paid to pre-register, and OOB refused to give back the money when the show got rained out and some participants could not attend on the rain date. So, OOB cut their own throat on that issue. Other shows will either let you pre-register without pre-paying, or will reimburse you if the show gets canceled or postponed and you cannot attend on the new date.

I think OOB should give serious thought to the unintended consequences before they do things that will make their show less relevant, and less "participant friendly". Certainly, they need to cover costs. But you cannot cover costs if the folks stop coming.

/

No comments: