Thursday, July 24, 2008

They Can't Let It Go

As a side note, it is interesting to note that the two "organizers" of the Belgrade show continue to send insulting and crude emails, and one of them even voted "NO" on having a Letters page - a childish reaction that makes one wonder what they are afraid of - why they don't want people to speak out. But when you read the emails about their show, it's no mystery as to why they are afraid of letting the people speak.

In one of their crude emails (I leave out the crude stuff) they claim that only the best cars won. However, among the emails we have received, two were from people who won at their show, and even they said the judging left a lot to be desired, to put it mildly. So, even some of the winners know the judging was deeply flawed. In another comment from the "organizer", Scott, he states I am fabricating it all - even though everyone can see the comments that others are posting (as administrator of the blog, hosted on GOOGLE, I can accept or reject comments, but cannot edit them. Google does not permit it).

To date, we have received many comments on the blog, and 19 emails from folks who went to their show. Of those, only one was positive - by someone who won at their show. All others were negative. This, in spite of the fact that a) we never asked anyone to send negative reviews, but b) TWICE we asked for folks to send positive ones.

This poor fellow is unhappy about the things folks are saying about his show (and he blames me for that) and insists that I gave his show a "bad rap" just to "get him". Strange, since I have no reason to "get him" - I had never even met him at the time. I really fail to see any reason or purpose for trying to "get him" for anything. I am sorry, but that sounds like paranoia.

He says he is the "better man", because he "gives" to the car folks, while I "take". He does not give any info on just HOW he "gives", except that he puts on a car show in order to raise money for some good cause. But he states he does not do that for the folks, but for the fundraising. Fair enough, but don't say it's "for the folks" when, in fact, it is for the money they bring.

Meanwhile, he ignores what I "give".

He ignores that I pay all the bills for HotKarz out of my own pocket, and I put in about 30 hours a week for free. I don't get paid for this. In fact, HotKarz has already cost me over $1100 this season alone.

He ignores that I have tried to help keep folks going to cruise-ins in spite of the price of gas, by sponsoring (and paying for) the HotKarz Super Cruise. I pay for the trophies. I go to all the cruise-ins within an hour's drive. And I do it to benefit the cruise hosts so they don't shut down (because of gas prices), which benefits the folks. If the folks cut back on the cruises they go to, some cruise hosts may have to stop their cruise nights.

He ignores that I sponsor events and trophies at other shows - out of my own pocket.

He ignores that the folks tell me what they want HotKarz to offer, and I do my best to make it so. I do all the work myself, at my own expense.

He ignores that I make Vehicle Safety cards (Spectator Code of Conduct) available FREE to all show organizers. All the costs come from my own pocket.

He ignores that HotKarz has been known to pay the admission of cars to certain smaller or newer car shows, to help those shows beef up attendance. All from my own pocket.

He ignores that some organizers have properly used the constructive criticism to make their shows better - and more profitable.

But he insists that he is the giver, and all I do is take.

He says all I do is complain. I guess he missed all those posts that praise the good shows, such as Durham, OOB, Dover, Stratham, Casco Bay etc. If his show had been better, maybe he would have noticed those posts. I'll be clear: I do not complain. I simply point out flaws, in the hope they will get corrected next year. And I make suggestions on exactly how that can be accomplished. This is what is known as "constructive criticism".

He says I know nothing about shows, even though I have attended, and even organized shows before he was even born. I was putting the gleam to chrome long before his mother put a gleam in his father's eye. I organized my first show for my Junior class in 1963. I have organized, participated in, or attended thousands of shows in many states over the last 45 years. Yet it is he who is the self-professed expert, and I know nothing at all.

He says I should take up a "different hobby, like BUILDING cars...". I built a '52 Chevy truck "street machine" in 1961. I don't believe he was even born yet. I restored a '65 Mustang just 6 years ago. Perhaps he should take up a new hobby, like getting his facts straight, and facing the truth.

But judging from his emails, I doubt he can handle the truth.

I really do not understand why those fellows want to keep pouring salt on the wound, and making things worse than they need to be. I guess Scott said it all when, just like the guy in Sanford he said, "If you don't like it, don't come." That is precisely the worst possible attitude and reaction to criticism. And to it I say, "Don't worry, Scott - many of us won't."

You and your friend can keep sending your vile comments, but it only proves that you are not worthy of my time in responding. And from this point on, I will not.

No comments: