Friday, July 11, 2008

Update

In regard to the many emails received about the Belgrade show - none of them flattering - I received this comment from the show coordinator (below). He had posted it as a comment to the Belgrade post, and I felt it probably would not get seen by anyone, so in all fairness I am posting it here, in its entirety and unedited. Hopefully, this will shed some light on some of the issues. As for me, I would still be asking Scott one question: if Roy is your friend - enough so you ask him to assist you in the judging - and you are the judge for his car, does that not look like the "good ol' boy's network" at work when you award Roy 1st place? It may be a coincidence. But judges should avoid even the appearance of impropriety. Someone other than a friend should have judged Roy's class.

And Scott's letter does not address other problems noted in the emails, either. In the end, the folks who attended the show will be the final judge. HotKarz only asks that you consider both sides.

Bill

Scott said...
From The Show Coordinator:First I want to thank all of you for coming out. I know It was a big weekend, with the 4th and all, and I am happy about our turn out. Before I say too much about the judging let me say, I have been going to, and putting on shows for 15 years so I have an idea of what it takes to make a car show run smooth. Now With that said I have never been ripped more then I have since doing this Belgrade show. The Reason, it is a judged show. I for one am tierd of old rust cars beating out nice show cars. It has happened to me a few times. So when We scrapped the Sidney show and started in Belgrade, I decide this was the year to go judged. Last year I had 5 judges, Myself one of them, and 3 of us had our cars in the show. Well, none of those cars were judge by the owners, and I got ripped on that big time. This year I decided that My cars aswell as any of the other judges cars would NOT be allowed to be judged, however they could park them in the show. This is what happened. Roy(Yellow Cuda) walked around with (Judge)Mark and assisted him on judging, I asked him if he could help Mark so I could assisgn them more catagories. I would have never asked him to help but we were in a real pinch. I had 2 judges go down sick, and I found that out on FRIDAY before the show. The other called me SATURDAY and said he may not be able to make it. That left us with only 3 judges. So that is why I asked Roy to Help, But again he was not a judge. And also for the record, I judged his class, He had nothing to do with it. Also I heard that some people were saying this was a good old boys system, and the judges were mickey mouse judges. First All of us have many years around cars, Building them caring for them, and JUDGING them at Larger shows then this one. And I would love for just one of you folks to tell Bo Condon that he is a Mickey Mouse Judge! All of us, Especially Bo know cars very well, and take this task of judging VERY seriously. Now for next year there will be some changes to the judging system. We will be adding 3 more judges, and they will go around in Pairs to judge, I will be the head judge, and I will go around after they are thru and re check the results. If there are any questions, We will go over them together, and make any changes as needed. So with all that said I hope I cleared up any confussion, and I hope to see you all back again next year. We will be adding alot of fun stuff to the show next year. Feel fre to contact me via e-mail @ chevyshowtrucks@yahoo.com, or call @ 207-215-6142. Thanks again- Scott
July 11, 2008 4:40 PM

(NOTE): Scott added yet another comment under this post, and again it appears that when simple truths are stated, someone can't handle it. All I said was, in a judged show, it is inappropriate for a friend to judge a friend's car - and it is. Scott took offense. Sorry, Scott, but the truth is the truth. That is why a court judge has to recuse himself when he is on good terms with anyone facing him in court. He is not permitted to judge a friend. It's what is called a "conflict of interest".

Perhaps Roy's car was the best. That is not the point. The point is that it APPEARS to be the "good ol' boys network" in full swing. And judges absolutely must avoid such appearances. If you do not, then you can fully expect folks to think what they think.

And if your answer to this is, "If you don't like it, don't come", then you obviously do not understand what makes a good car show a good car show. 15 years experience? Or maybe one year experience repeated 15 times? If you are unwilling to learn from the thoughts and criticisms of others, then the latter is more likely the case. The FIRST thing you should realize is that the participants are your CUSTOMERS. The money you make comes from THEM. You can treat them right and prosper, or you can brush them off, ignore their comments, and lose.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Bill, I have no idea who you are, But I consider alot of people friends, And Yes I consider Roy one aswell. Now If I was a judge, but couln't judge any cars that I know, Then i would not be able to judge any classes. So You are right Roys car took First. THat was the best car in its class. Second Went to someone I know too, But His car was a second place car, I didn't get any crap from him. And two other cars are Closer friends of mine in that class, and they didn't place. Even Sgt. Rock, I consider him a friend at these shows like anyone else, and He left upset because he didnt place as high as he wanted to. I am not going to argue about this anymore with you folks. I do my best to put on a FUN show, and keep it as fair as possible. I try to make sure the best car wins, Not the most popular car, or the biggest club, or the largest rust holes. So If you folks want to contact me please do. We will be doing this show again next year, with the changes I listed above, and I am going to have fun doing it. I do this for fun and no other reason, and If you don't like the way I run the show, You don't have to come!!

Anonymous said...

Good attitude scott!
"My ball, My court-I'M GOING HOME!"
It's funny how stories change, at first Roy was a judge, now he was simply an advisor-convenient!
It's also funny (in a tragic kind of way) how many times you can be told the same thing by MANY DIFFERENT PEOPLE and still not get the hint!
ROY SHOULD NOT HAVE HAD HIS CAR REGISTERED IN THE SHOW IF HE WAS A JUDGE, WAS ADVISING A JUDGE, WAS WALKING AROUND WITH A JUDGE OR WAS INVOLVED IN THE JUDGING IN ANY WAY-PERIOD,POINT BLANK, NO GRAY AREA!
If you care anything about your show, you got alot of fixing to do, the first is your obstinence and the second is your attitude.

Scott said...

Thats fine, I understand Where you are coming from. We try to Make as many people happy as we can, And as I stated Before We are just trying to have fun. You can Interpret what I am saying anyway you would like, I can't change that. I am thru responding to this, I hope everyone that was at the show understands where both of us are coming from, and Realizes that we are just trying to raise money for a good cause. So with that said, and all that was said before, I thank you to everyone that has come out to this year, and last year, and we hope to see you all again next year!