Monday, August 11, 2008

Hard Pressed

I have been hard pressed to find a "silver lining" to all this dismal wet weather. But I finally have found it!

As I squish my way across overgrown lawns too wet to be mowed, and pull the weeds that grow so quickly in such weather, I tried to come up with a bright spot. My tomatoes have drowned. The corn is 8 feet tall - but the ears are not growing (they need sun). Carrots rotted in the ground, the leach field is working too hard, the family is getting cabin fever, shows and cruises get washed out, the dogs don't want to go out to go pee in the rain...the list goes on (forever).

But as I said, I have found some small amount of silver lining. I had to dig deep, but I was determined. And here it is:

My property abuts the dirt road leading to Pequawket Lake. Every summer, the outta staters race their ATV's, dirt bikes, cars, trucks etc. past the house and down the lane, all hours of the day and night. And teen partiers at the lake leave around midnight, and often in as noisy a fashion as is humanly possible.

Well, the weather has kept them at bay! We have peace and quiet! And that, my friend, is nice.

The moral of the story: no matter how dark things may get in your life, there is always something to be thankful for. Like my pop used to say, "Don't complain about not having any shoes until you talk with the man who has no feet."

Damn! They say it's gonna rain again tomorrow!

'Nuff said.

No comments: