Friday, August 15, 2008

Unbelieveable

I received a comment (copied below in its entirety) from someone who dared not even identify himself/herself. And considering the comment, I am not at all surprised. According to this person, I "have no right to comment on shows". Pardon me, but in America, everyone has a right to speak their piece. I do understand that there are people on the far left who do not believe that anyone with an opposing view should ever speak, but that is not how things are in this country.

The person also claimed I "never contribute anything to any shows." Of course, this just shows the writer's ignorance, since I do contribute. I sponsor classes at shows. I sponsor, organize and run the HotKarz Super Cruise. I provide organizers with Vehicle Safety cards (spectator code of conduct) at no cost whatever. I provide organizers with a place to find many normal classifications, a copy of the Standard Point System, and an outline to help in putting together a more successful show.

He also claims I look for "special treatment" - I do not. I park my car, then enjoy the show like everyone else.

I provide a venue for the car folks, themselves, to speak up and be heard, so organizers will get a feel for what the folks are thinking, so they can improve their shows.

I post and promote the shows, and the cruise-ins.

Now, since the writer of the comment decided to hide behind anonymity, I do not know what THEY contribute, but I seriously doubt they contribute much of any value.

This lowlife even went so far as to "dis" my daughters vehicle. The writer thinks nothing much was invested in it, and it does not belong in any shows - I guess he/she is not intelligent enough to realize there is over $40,000 invested in the PT Woody. Guess he also is unaware that it often wins in both judged and peer shows, so it would seem many do not see things his way. Wonder what he has invested in whatever it is he brings to shows!

That ignorant idiot is, by his own remarks, a bigot - unless a vehicle is a perfect specimen of an antique or classic, it is not deserving to be in shows. That only goes to show the worth of the writer's opinion, which is zero.

Look, I do not mind honest criticism (unlike the folks in Sanford and Belgrade). But I do mind bigotry, ignorance, stupidity and downright meanness.

If and when that clown should decide to identify himself and take "credit" for his letter, I would fairly bet that he or she is someone not worthy of anyone's concern. I would also bet he/she has some connection to Sanford :o)

So - and I know you are reading this - you should know that I have probably done more for shows in one season than you have done in your entire lifetime. And you should also know that I am not going to give a "pass" to any problems I find. And I have every right to publish this blog and website, as this is not communist China. My opinions may not be shared by all - nor do they need to be. However, it is rare that I insert opinion - normally, I simply state the facts. And some people simply cannot handle the facts. Well, that's too bad! Deal with it.

A full 96% of all mail, posts and comments I receive is positive and supportive. If and when that changes, then I will reconsider what I am doing. But for the time being, you and people like the Sanford Elks really need to understand a simple fact:

I will report on shows. I will say what I believe is good about them, and what I believe is not so good. I will report what others have to say, and give them a venue to speak for themselves. If a show is great, I will say so. If not, I will say so. And since I have been involved in over 400 shows in one capacity or another, over a span of 43 years and almost as many states, then I have reason to believe I know enough about shows to know what is good, and what is not so good.

I am not saying every show should be perfect. But I AM saying that if a show has obvious problems, the organizers should strive to work out those problems, for the benefit of all.

I have given some very good reviews here - there are many good shows. And there are some that did not warrant a good revue. And I have enough integrity to not give a good review that is not deserved. But in no case did I ever "dis" anyone. I simply state the facts. If a show allows class jumping, I WILL point that out. If it does not organize well, I WILL point that out. That is not being disrespectful, or mean. That is simply reporting the facts, so everyone - including the organizers - can spot things that they may want to address. After all, if you don't know it's broke, you can't fix it.

Some organizers have been running rough-shod over the participants for so long, they do not feel any need to satisfy anyone but themselves. They have no interest in improving. To those few, I would say that you have been put on notice - if you are not willing to address valid concerns of the participants whose money you covet, then those participants will stop coming to your show, and you will get NO money. They have every right to expect you to address their concerns. They are your customers. They are the people whose money you are after. If you want their money, you need to satisfy them. If you are not interested in providing the best show that you can, then maybe you need to find a new way to raise funds.

If you put on a cheap show, or use poorly trained judges, or permit class jumping, then you have no one to blame but yourselves when I call it like it is. That's my job. You don't have to like it, but you do have to accept it, because I am here to stay!

And judging from the letters I get, that's the way most car folks want it.

Here is the anonymous letter - please feel free to let me - and him - know what you think by emailing me at ptwoodycrew@aol.com, or posting a comment below this blog entry:

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post:
It's too bad you've turned this site into a personal mission to critcize people for their efforts. I would think a man as smart as you say you are you would understand people who put these shows on are doing the best they can. Personally I don't think you have any right to comment since you yourself have not or do not do anything for car shows in general. Your pathetic comments each week do nothing for so many people. Each week you pull your PT Woody into a show and expect special treatment when in fact your car is nothing short of a makeshift car out of the 50's want to be club. How much have you invested? My guess is not even close to what many of us have. You have no right to judge or critcize if you do not like the show stay the hell home just like you were told in Sanford. A lot of people certainly will never miss you. I'm willing to bet you will just delete this because it is your site but it is my two cents and I feel better. You really should use this site for good instead of judging.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heres my vote for you Bill. Keep up the great work. I would love to see everybody who's happy with this site add a comment below this one, or unhappy for that matter. Lets see which way the scale tips.

Anonymous said...

to Anonymous
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peacably to assemble..."

So if you take away this part of the bill of rights car shows could be deemed illegal as well as your right to an opinion and this blog. Aren't you just a little ray of sunshine.

And to think a village somewhere is missing a perfectly good idiot

Bill keep up the good work

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah!(i'm not sure if that's spelled right?)
It's about time that people are noticing and taking action on some of the obvious BS that has been going on at these shows forever!

And how dare this person criticize this website- Bill is telling it like it is (BOTH sides, might I add!) and trying to bring about change to make shows better for all of us including you IDIOT!(the person who wrote original)
My guess is either some one from Sanford, or Belgrade, or a Trophy Poacher wrote this. Why don't you take your own advice and STAY HOME!

Anonymous said...

"It's too bad you've turned this site into a personal mission to critcize people for their efforts." Wow, I didn't know that allowing show participants to point out the obvious flaws with many shows was so bad. The only "efforts" most of these people running the shows are making is collecting car owners cash at each show.
"People who put these shows on are doing the best they can"-only true for a percentage of the shows.
"Your pathetic comments each week do nothing for so many people."-funny most of the 'comments' aren't even yours but those of your readers and show participants.
"Your car is nothing short of a makeshift car out of the 50's want to be club. How much have you invested?"-ahh, ignorance at it's best. Even if you only invested 10cents in your car would you be less qualified to recognize obvious flaws with some car shows? Would you be less qualified to post the opinions of others on a web site? Sounds like the whinings of a jealous little man to me. This stuff is better than the Sunday comics! By the way, it's 'wannabe club'. You can look it up in Wikipedia, the free internet encyclopedia, if you're capable.

Anonymous said...

Some people still ride on the back of the Turnip truck, this guy fell off and hit his head as he heading home with his poached trophy, or running from participants of the show he organized. Some people are better keeping their thoughts to themselves. That way people will only think he is an idiot. Keep up the good work and keep all promoters om their toes.

AnonymousOne said...

I am completely amazed by the lack of maturity that some people have in their lives. You would think that maturity would come as you exit high school and get established in the "real world", but I see some have forgotten what it is like. Why is it that some people have to hide behind their computer when it comes to anything with a negative response? Aren't we all adults? Bill, you do a great job keeping us all informed about past and upcoming car shows/cruises. DON'T EVER STOP!!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Bill! If people are writing bad stuff then they are listening and maybe some good will come of it. We do shows every weekend. We see a lot of the bad and good, but we would like to see more good. Your advice could help shows get better. We are behind you 100%. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I just got back from the Togus show for our vets. Had a wonderful day. Large turn out and no rain. Everybody told me I had to checkout hotkarz site to read what this person had to say to Bill. It was hurtful to me to see this. Bill is right in my mind most of the time, maybe a bit too harsh at times. But if you really sit back and think about what he says, he is headed in the right direction for all our benefit. I agree with him more than not. I have been doing shows for quite some time and have seen many little things that could have been fixed with little to no effort. I do understand that it is very hard to get volunteers to help. So what do they do? Cancel a show or put on less of a show? I don't know, I would hate to see even more shows go down the tubes. We have lost so many already. I understand what Bill is trying to do to help us all on both sides. Bill what about doing a show report card on your website of each show and post it after the show? But if you consider this please only do it if you yourself attend the show. Some times second hand information should be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe at the end of the report card some thoughtful kind words of encouragement along with what they might do to improved their show. You already have a good guide to put on a show. I visit this website everyday to check on all the show news. It is very helpful to many of us. Thank you for all your time and hard work. By the way I think your PT Woody is a pretty cool little car. I peronally enjoy your wit and website very much. Keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill, We think you do a great job and service to us car nuts. We may not agree on everything but I know you and your family are good people. Keep up the good work! See ya around, Jim

Anonymous said...

There are a lot new people trying to put on car shows and be in car shows. I think what this site has brought is a way for all of us to understand both sides of the field. Learn what is not good behavior, educate, and give consideration to issues that are brought up whether it is sugar coated or not. We want car shows, and we want to be in car shows. Bill has provided the forum for everyone to be able to point out the good and bad for better shows. To the anonymous disgruntled person, he published your side of it as well. Thank you Bill for all your work and providing everyone a "voice."

Anonymous said...

I'll bet this winner is feeling pretty intelligent now, huh?
Open mouth-insert foot anyone?