Friday, August 1, 2008

V & M Revisited

You probably recall the serious issues we had with V & M Rentals of Gorham last spring. They charged us two and a half times more than the estimate, and after "fixing" our tractor and giving it a tune-up, it was no longer capable of starting or running. I had to get a real mechanic to get it going.

Well, it just gets worse. The brand new mower deck they over-charged me $700 for is burnt out already, after just three months. The bearings are gone, the belt fell apart, etc. Come to find out, though my machine is a Husqvarna, and V & M is supposed to be a Husqvarna dealer, they did NOT replace the Husky deck with another Husky deck. They snuck in a generic no-name cheapie unit, apparently.

To make matters worse, when I tried to replace the "new" deck with the old one (at least that one works), I discovered that the old one no longer fit - V & M had to make modifications in order to put the cheapie deck on.

After several hours in the machine shop making parts, I was finally able to get the old deck back on.

Since V & M did not even bother responding to the Better Business Bureau in regard to our complaints, this time I went straight to Husky. I told them everything from the beginning, and suggested they review the "authorized dealer" status of V & M. I also advised them that, since V & M was acting as their agent and had decided to be unresponsive, I was going to resubmit the complaints to the BBB and name Husqvarna as the company that is ultimately liable.

Husky was not happy to hear this. Well, I said, I am not happy that their rep apparently was a crook and a moron, either, who robbed me of $700 and ruined my $2500 tractor, so we're even. (Well, not really.) But one thing is certain - they should not count on me ever buying another Husky product.

So, why am I writing all this? Only one reason - many of you are our friends. And if this horror story keeps you from being taken as we were, then it would all be worthwhile. To the wise, I suggest avoiding V & M unless you have a masochistic side and enjoy pain :o)

No comments: