Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Grapevine

I want to begin by stating I did not attend the Kora show this year, so this post will simply concern observations made by many who did.

Several participants have related to me that they were angered when the "judges" never even bothered to look at their cars. In one instance, a "judge" was stopped and asked about it, and he simply said something to the effect that there were so many cars, it would take all day to look them all over, and they did not have the time.

Excuse me for saying so, but that is their JOB! If a show is going to provide "independent judging", they have TWO obligations:

1) Inspect EVERY VEHICLE completely and fairly, and
2) Use a point system that is fair to all, and followed by all judges

Anything less is nothing short of a scam. So, Kora, a heads up - you may need to look into your system of judging.

Of the dozen or so folks I spoke with (who went to Kora), most were very dissatisfied, for one or more of these reasons:

A) Inefficient, ineffective, biased or non-existant judging
B) A feeling that the winners were pre-determined
C) The food/concessions left much to be desired, and
D) Classes were, to say the least, screwed up

Again, this is not first-hand criticism, but I would be remiss if I did not post the concerns of others. I will only add that in my own post two years ago concerning my own experience with this show, the same problems seem to have survived.

If anyone from Kora reads this, please make note, as many of the folks I spoke with have stated they will never return to the Kora show. And that is not a good thing.

Meanwhile, I have not heard any complaints concerning Ossipee Valley yet, but I have heard several praises. The one issue I have heard revolves around a certain individual who still insists on class-jumping by entering his antique in Special Interest, though there is no special interest for that vehicle, and there is a legitimate class available for his vehicle.

Feel free to sing praises or raise Hell on any shows you attend.

As a final note: you all know the situation concerning our experience with Blast From The Past. And many of you have expressed that you will stop going there because you believe it was quite unfair. However, please reconsider - everyone is entitled to make mistakes, and Blast made a big one when they decided, without notice, to become "Classic" snobs (if it ain't old, it ain't nothin'). But aside from their bias and discrimination, it is a fun cruise, with lots of your friends. So, if you are fortunate enough to have a vehicle that "qualifies" for their cruise, HotKarz asks that you not spurn them just because of how they treated us. Go, enjoy! Just make sure your vehicle qualifies pre-1985, I believe.

/

2 comments:

Robbie Beaton said...

I'll have to agree fully about the judges at Kora. They did not spend anytime looking at the cars. They only browsed what they like and maybe spent a min or two on the others. classes were not enforced neither. Oh well, can't always get a perfect show no matter what there's always something wrong. take care Bill see you at the next show

Robbie B

Anonymous said...

Robbie and I are like one mind on this issue. Even had 2nd place winner in my class come up to me and say, "I cant believe you did'nt place,,,that other car had no work put into it at all".
My reply,,,Oh well,,,It is what it is. It was a dry day anyway and I think I got a bit of a tan!!!