Saturday, August 8, 2009

Kiwanis Beach

Ah-h-h! What a GORGEOUS day for a show. Sun shining, breeze blowing. And the shaded beach made for an almost idyllic setting. A small show - about 80 vehicles - to be sure, but another winner for Kiwanis, in general.

The show's organizer spoke with me, and already knew there were some glitches that he wanted to fix for next year. And that is always a good sign for any show.

Aside from a foreign vehicle that was out of its class, I did not notice any class-jumping. But then, I was having a good time and may not have been as observant as some others.

In fact, I did not observe one other problem - a major one - until several folks brought it to my attention. It seems that some folks were walking around with handfuls of ballots - and not all of them were staff. At first, I thought they were joshing me, to get me going. But I looked around and saw that, yes, some folks were filling out multiple ballots. It was reminiscent of the Minnesota Senate race, where there were more ballots than there were registered voters.

I then decided to double-check, and spent about 30 minutes watching the ballot box, and in that short period one person stuffed in a mittful, and another individual returned a half dozen times to put in additional ballots.

Now, I cannot be sure this had any effect of the results, but I cannot imagine how it wouldn't. Something was not kosher in the balloting.

I am pleased to say, however, that I saw no sign of this among the folks in our class, but I did feel bad for the people who were entered in the same classes as those who were stuffing the ballot box.

I sincerely hope the Kiwanis staff put some effort into controlling the dispersal of ballots next year.

Aside from that one issue, and the one vehicle out of class, it was a very, very nice show. And I am particularly pleased that the home-made electric car in Special Interest finally took home a well-deserved trophy.

I'll be trying to get the galleries up tonight, along with one or two more "funnies" for your enjoyment, and a new FEATURED VEHICLE.

And I would really, really like to express my personal heartfelt thanks to all those who provided words of encouragement for HotKarz. It is very much appreciated, and nice to know that so many of you want to work toward improving things for all.

SIDE NOTE: I tried the so-called Lens Renewer" kit by "For Life Products", the same folks whose advertising is so misleading. I am posting BEFORE and AFTER pix. Frankly, the BEFORE pix are better than the after, so it looks like this is yet another scam by For Life Products Inc. You can decide for yourselves.

/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One more comment - they should, next year, make sure that the class the partipant is entered in is crossed off from that partipant's ballot. I don't vote in my class but others do

Anonymous said...

The day was perfect!
Could someone please define "class-jumping"?