Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Touch-ups, Part II

A few days ago I mentioned the super job of touching up provided by a kit from Dr Colorchip. In the same post, I also mentioned a very bad experience with another company, Microfinish, at automotivetouchup.com. If you are considering a touch up paint or kit, you would be well advised to avoid Microfinish.

I'll start by telling you that I ordered their touch-up paint on July 26 because their website offered a Priority Mail option. Since I wanted to touch up the car for the Andover show on August 1st, that was cool - they would mix the paint on the 27th, send it out on the 28th and I would have it by the 31st. Perfect.

Or so I thought. Now most folks, upon seeing that you are paying more for Priority Mail, would assume you are in a hurry, and want it right away. That is the purpose of Priority Mail. But not according to Microfinish!

On July 30th I get an email from them stating that they will finally get around to shipping my order the next day - the 31st, which was the day I had needed, and expected, to RECEIVE it.

I asked why it had not already shipped and learned that it takes them 4 days to mix one ounce of paint! (PERSPECTIVE: Home Depot and Lowe's can mix a gallon in a few minutes)

I told them that was unacceptable, and to cancel my order and credit my account. At first, they did not wish to honor that request. But after providing them with legal incentives to the contrary, they relented. But they only gave a credit of 75%. The rest, they said, was a "re-stocking fee". Since the error was on their part, I told them to fork over the rest or they would wish they had - it would cost them much, much more to have to respond to complaints I would file with the Better Business Bureau, the FTC and their state attorney general on grounds of unfair business practices and misleading advertising.

Meanwhile, it was July 30th. The show was in two days. What to do?

I emailed Dr Colorchip, and a rep named Amy was quite helpful. Where it took Microfinish 4 days to mix an ounce of paint, Dr Colorchip mixed the ounce, put together the more complex kit, shipped it and had it in my hot little hands in under 24 hours!

A much better touch-up kit (not just a tube of paint, as with Microfinish), much better service, and I'm a happy camper. Not to mention the car looks great!

So there you have it, folks. Microfinish can mix you an ounce of paint in 4 days, then take another 3 days to get it to you after charging a premium for Priority. But Dr Colorchip can provide that same ounce of paint PLUS a blending solution sealer, 3 different applicators, nitrile glove and buffing cloth, and get it to you in 24 hours if you wish.

Hm-m-m. Which to choose....

I ordered another Dr Colorchip kit for our Pacifica...

/

No comments: