Sunday, August 30, 2009

Reply For Andy

Andy, of Team 207, had asked if I had heard anything about folks refusing to vote for tuners, presumably because they were seen as "poachers".

I have not heard anything to that effect. In fact, if a person actually thinks about it, it would be nearly impossible for tuners to poach - if they register in the most appropriate class, and since they are all in the same class, and most shows do not allow you to vote your class, I do not see how poaching is possible. I do see a potential for bloc voting on the other classes, but I personally have not seen Team 207 do that, either.

I do not doubt that some folks may have a bias against tuners, and may refuse to vote for them because of that bias. That is human nature - if we do not like, or appreciate something, we tend to ignore it, or try to harm it. For some it is the loud, bassy music. For others, it is a bias against anything that is not an old classic. Having a newer car myself, I have also been a victim of that bias - for example, our vehicle is "too new" to participate in the Blast From The Past cruise night.

While I do not have any bias, I have had instances where we were positioned very close to the tuner class, and the loud bass in their music drove us away from our vehicle for the day. But I still vote the class, because it is a legitimate class. And I would encourage everyone to do the same.

/

1 comment:

Andy said...

I know myself not everyone wants to hear our music loud and with a lot of bass. If I play my music at the shows I usually play it while I'm cleaning and I turn my bass down as a respect for others. In my opinion the staff should enforce not having loud music played during the show unless there is a qualified class or reason for that to happen such as a bass competition or more commonly known as a DB Drag. So far, none of the team members have been disrespectful in that manner and I hope that others will see that and these rumors will fade away. Thank you for your time Bill.