Friday, July 4, 2008

Horseflies

You know what I'm talking about! You walk out into the fields, or down the trail and a few pesky horseflies insist on buzzing you like those biplanes that pestered King Kong. At first, you try to ignore them, but they keep making their kamikaze flights around your noggin. So you start to try brushing them away, swinging your hat at them. Still they persist. So you stop, let them land, then SPLAT! They really don't give you any choice.

Well, these last few days a few "horseflies" representing the Sanford Elks have been making themselves pesky. At first, I tried ignoring them. Didn't work. Then I published one of their dumb emails, hoping that would embarras them enough to "buzz off". Didn't work. The same bunch keeps spewing their drivel and insults, and refuse to accept that their show had issues. One told me that if the car folks don't like it, they should shut up. Another said their only concern was the money they could get from us, and hinted we should be "thankful" for what they offer.

So, now you might think the time has come for me to stop and do the SPLAT! thing. And perhaps I should. But I won't. It does test my willpower, I'll admit, but I like to think that at my age, I have become better than that. But I am sorely disappointed that such people represent such a venerable organization. I have been involved in numerous Elk's clubs and their events for many years, and I know them to be a very worthy organization. So, though they are represntatives of the Elks, I cannot and will not lower my regard for the organization. But my regard for those individuals is non-existent.

So, in spite of their incessant buzzing, I move on. They do not deserve any more of my concern or consideration. And if the Sanford Elks decide to keep those clowns on the Show committee for next year, I see little hope of any improvement.

So I will simply offer this little pearl of wisdom for anyone involved in putting together a show, or starting a business, or applying for a job, or even getting married as the rules are the same:

Success and wealth comes not from chasing the dollar, but from helping others to succeed. If you do your job well enough to make Mr. Boss happy, you keep your job, and maybe get a raise, because he NEEDS you. If you make your customers happy, they will keep coming back and throw money at you because they NEED you. If you make your spouse happy, your own peace and quiet is assured because the NEED your support. And if you make your car show patrons happy, they will support you in spades, because they NEED you. They need you because you are helping them to achieve success. What goes around, comes around.

But if the money is what you covet and go after, both it and success will ultimately evade you. You may do well in the short run, but as folks tire of your attitude, they will leave you in the lurch.

Success is a natural by-product of helping others. Failure is a natural by-product of thinking only of your own needs.

And that's a fact, Jack! If I can pass anything on to future generations, let it be that.

Nuthin' more to say on this topic. Time to move on...

Speaking of flies, an old friend stopped by this morning and said he was going fly fishing. I know he's gettin' old and all, and he's becoming a bit strange, but this really perplexed me. Fly fishing! Hell, I don't know why anyone would want to fish for flies, but if he really wants to, he can sit out on the manure pile out back and fish for all he wants. No limit. But for cripes sake, don't ask me to bait the hook...

No comments: