Saturday, October 4, 2008

Life Is Good

TODAY'S SHIRT: Struggling Hair Farmer

Ah-h-h. What a beautiful day! The kind of sunny, crisp day that makes a man want to get out and split some wood. Of course, I have no intention of doing that.

I am considering the possibility of putting up the outside Christmas lights, though. I prefer doing that before the weather gets so cold it numbs the fingers. But I have noticed that the older I get, the closer to ground level the lights get strung. I stopped doing the roofline about 15 years ago. Then I gave up on the lower eaves. And I no longer do the taller trees - instead, I string the shrubs.

After last winter, I am considering the option of buying a small, electric snowblower to park up on the roof of my workshop. That would make it easier for an old-timer (my wife) to keep the shed from caving in. I figure I would also leave a ladder leaning up against the shed, so it can freeze in place. Last year, however, I did not need a ladder - I was able to climb the snowbank right to the top of the roof. Seriously!

It's also time to play musical vehicles. Some, like the motorhome, have to get stored down back, out of the way. Others must be kept up front, while still others need to be kept accessible. You'd be surprised at the amount of planning required for something like this, because of how it affects plowing. Whew! I think I need a coffee break already.

Funny thing, how you get smarter when you get older - mostly out of necessity. I used to rake leaves. Now I just mow 'em with a mulching mower. Feeds the soil, too. And I used to cook individual meals. Now I cook very large meals, and use any leftovers to make our own "TV Dinners" to freeze. Saves a lot of energy, time and work. Now when the girls go off to a concert, leaving me to fend for myself, I just grab a home-cooked frozen dinner, pop it in the microwave and I'm all set.

Well, tomorrow is the Stratham Hill car show, put on by the Boy Scouts. We like this show. But it's not without its shortcomings, as mentioned in an earlier post. In case you missed it, if you go to this show, do not expect much equality in the class structure. Otherwise, it should be a fun show, and we are looking forward to it (even though we are going to get stuck in "Kit Cars", believe it or not - there is no class for 90's-Present, and Special Interest is combined with Kit Cars). It's hard to compete with those Kit Cobras.

Remember - if you have ordered a shirt, or a Car Show book, and you are going to Stratham, be sure to get hold of me. But come unarmed, please.

See ya!

No comments: