Sunday, September 28, 2008

Xmas Shopping

Today's Shirt: I'd give you a beer, but I only have 48 left

This is exactly why men don't shop early. It's exactly the reason men wait until the last minutes to do Christmas shopping.

I thought I would start Christmas shopping early for a change, to get it over with. So, I ordered some great stuff for Robin & Christi. And it just came in the mail.

And I got to thinking how much my girls would enjoy those things. In fact, they would enjoy them so much, I just couldn't wait until Christmas to let them start enjoying them. So, they have their gifts. And now I am going to have to buy MORE Christmas gifts later, so they will have presents to open on Christmas.

That's the trouble with us "tough, insensitive guys." We love our families so much, we just can't stand to deprive them. And that's why we wait to do our shopping. So, ladies, go ahead and make fun of how we do our shopping at 6pm on December 24th. But know that it is only because you are so very special. That bracelet in the closet belongs on your wrist, not in the closet. It should be putting a smile on your face today, not 3 months from now. Tomorrow may never come - be happy today.

Reminds me of my Mom. My Dad once bought her "special" dinnerware and silver for those "special" times. So, Mom used them every day. Dad said, "But these are for SPECIAL occassions." And my Mom said, "Every meal with my family is a special occassion. What, or who, is more special?" And when she passed away, the truth of her words hit home. If you don't use those "special" things for those you love, when will you use them?

Too many of us overlook the true "special times" while we wait for "special times". Here's a hint: the most special time you will ever have is right now. Yesterday is gone, and tomorrow may never come. Enjoy today to the hilt. If you have "good" dishes, "special" silver, or "best" linens, use them. Who deserves them more?

No comments: