Monday, September 1, 2008

Stand By...

Most folks agree - it's OK to stand by your man. And it's OK to stand by your principles. It's even OK to stand by your mailbox, waiting for your Social Insecurity check. But for some strange reason, some folks do not think it is OK to stand by your car at a car show.

That is wrong on two very basic levels. On level one, the assertion that anyone who stands by their car is somehow "buying votes" would wrongly assume that voters are either too dumb to see through a ploy, or so dishonest that their votes are for sale. Besides, how can anyone buy a vote in this fashion if two or more folks in the same class are standing around their cars? They can only vote for one!

On a second level, it assumes that a person who stands by their car is trying to buy votes, when in fact, that is rarely the case. Most of us are proud of our rides, and most of us are not such snobs that we will not answer questions that others may have about our cars. That is how new friends are made. It is not how votes are bought and sold.

Take Ralph Cartonio, for example. A very fine man, and someone whose integrity I do not question. Because he stood by his car, I was able to learn the entire history of his gorgeous, one-of-a-kind Peerless. And I was able to make a friend in the process. But was Ralph trying to buy my vote? Anyone who knows Ralph knows that would be out of the question. Ralph cares little for trophies. As proof, Ralph won Best of Show at Shaw's Ridge yesterday. He knew he was in the running for it. But he forfeited the trophy and let it go to someone else. No, Ralph is not a trophy hound. Ralph is a fine, kind, generous man who loves to show - and talk about - his car. And because of that, I learned a great story about his Peerless, and I made a friend that I now treasure.

To those folks who think that anyone who talks about his ride is trying to somehow "buy" votes, I would suggest you open your closed minds long enough to stop being so snobbish, and spend
SOME of the time hanging around your own vehicles to answer questions that others may have. Trust me - it will not make me think that you are fishing for votes, and sharing your knowledge and stories will open a new world of new friends. It will be a rewarding experience for all.

I only wish I could spend more time by my car, but as the editor of this website and blog, I have other obligations that keep me away from my car most of the time. But I take every opportunity to step up to folks who gather around the PT, to answer their questions, and engage them in conversation. They learn about Lambo doors, and where to get accessories for their own PT, and I get to make new friends.

Wish I could do more of that...

No comments: