Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Today

What a beautiful day! In fact, the last ten days or so have been great. Too bad it has to come at the end of the summer. We only got to the beach once this year.

Finally getting caught up on the outside work - just in time to undo it all and button down the hatches for winter.

Here's hoping this week goes a bit better than last. Last week, our other PT Cruiser blew its power steering pump, which cost nearly a grand to replace. The same day, the tranny line in the GMS gave out, which cost another $250. All that happened just after the garden tractor blew a hole through the engine block, the battery went flat in the motorhome and I bought the wrong resin for the surfboard. Ah, the trials and tribulations of life in the slow lane!

Actually, I'm not really slow, but I'm not fast, either. I'm half-fast.

I s'pose I'll take the GMC to Windham today and bring home the first ton of pellets for the stove this winter. Next week I'll get the other 2 tons. I have a feeling this winter is going to come early, stay late, freeze the noses and bury us in snow.

Probably go to Rock n' Roll Diner tonight - haven't been there in awhile. If I remember to bring my teeth this time, I could even get something to eat while I'm there.

Never thought I would see the day when "remembering" would become a time-consuming venture. It's not that I can't remember - it's just that it takes longer to bring the memories up to the front. I always remember my teeth - about 5 miles down the road. And I will remember your name after we have ended our conversation and gone our separate ways. And I never fail to remember making that important call - after their office has closed. In the morning I will try to remember what it was I forgot to do the previous day. And I will remember - when the day is done and it's too late.

It's strange, really. I can easily remember the names of the kids I attended kindergarten with. And I can recall without difficulty how we found one of my sister's Christmas presents behind the couch in May of 1959. But when I try to recall what I did yesterday, it's a brain strain.

Well, gotta go. Got lots to do, as soon as I remember what.

No comments: