Monday, September 7, 2009

Hittin' A Nerve

Seems I hit a nerve with Mike. So be it. But he really needs to either re-assess some things, or get a grip on reality.

Yes, I did call Oscar's car "not unique", because in the context of Special Interest, where he registered, it is NOT unique. And that is not an insult to his car. I have often stated - in this blog and even to his face at OOB and Andover that his car was an exceptional piece. Did you expect me to lie just to make him feel good about registering in a class he does not belong in?

And, yes, I did call the owner of the mini a cheater, because that is obvious to almost everyone - when he is seen going from class to class, looking for one he can win in, what does he expect?

And no, I obviously do not expect accolades from such people, nor do I desire them. I do what needs to be done. Change is never painless, and most honest folks understand that change from the "old ways" of poaching and the "buddy system" needs to change. The only ones who do not want that, and complain, are the same folks causing the problem.

And no, I am not the problem. If you get a bullet in your hide, and it really hurts when the doctor fishes it out, is the doctor the problem because he caused you pain? The dishonesty infesting car shows is the problem, and solving the problem will not be without difficulty. But good things are worth fighting for. Only a fool would "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" and bury his head in the sand rather than stand and be counted.

Did I insult those people? Only in their eyes. In reality, it is not an insult to call it like it is. But if you believe the truth can be insulting, than so be it - believe as you wish. But I can tell you this with 100% certainty - nothing will get better until someone is willing to take the hits for making it better. I know that I have set myself up to take those hits, and I am ready to do so, because I believe it is important to bring greater fairness and honesty to the shows.

You say I am a hypocrite? Just how do you justify that? I do not poach. I do not "bloc" vote. I always enter into an appropriate class. I fight for what I believe in. Just exactly how is that hypocritical?

And so what that you have been around the car show scene for 6 years, and have only known me for two? Putting the shoe on the other foot, my friend, and it comes out to the fact that I have been in the car show scene for 41 years, and have only known YOU for two. I was involved in car shows since your father was wearing kneepants. But does that mean you are not knowledgeable? No.

And no, I do not have to attend - but neither do you. Change is coming, whether you and others like it or not. Either get used to it, or find another hobby, because the shows will get better and more organized regardless. And not because I want it, but because most of the folks want it.

You and a few others have no clue, Mike. I receive roughly 100+ emails every week, and dozens of comments. By a margin of 9-1, they are supportive of the efforts of HotKarz. They do not always like the "drama" that is created when change becomes necessary, and they may sometimes think my methods a bit harsh, but they know the end result will be more than worth it and support HotKarz and its mission.

When colonists wanted change from the oppression of an English king, it resulted in the Revolutionary War, where many died. Yes, fighting for what you want and believe in is tough. But don't expect me to shrivel from it - I'm not built that way.

And it is working. Because of HotKarz and the criticism it sometimes offers, several shows have already made great improvements. You only need look to the great job Scott did at Belgrade this year. Before HotKarz criticized the show, Scott was not even aware of the problems, so it was unlikely they would have been addressed without the criticism. Criticism is a very important component of improving. This year his show blew the wheels off many others, and he has rightfully earned the respect of all in the car show community. Sanford also made improvements, but only because of the criticism. But something you and a few others seem to conveniently overlook as you complain about my criticisms - I also give kudos when deserved. I tell what is good about shows, as well as the bad. Strange how you never mention that part - you only focus on the criticism.

And we all benefit when shows get better. The only ones who lose are those who have come to depend on the poaching and buddy system. And they deserve to lose, so I do not concern myself with them. The hobby would be better off without them, though it would be better if they would become part of the change and learn to accept it. They are not my focus - I am only concerned with doing whatever I can to help improve the hobby. It is what we should all be doing! I am not overly concerned with any individual(s). Only the hobby. If I hurt someone's feelings, that is regrettable, but again, no battle can be fought without casualties.

As for Oscar, it is a shame that he does not see the error of what transpired at Oxford, because I believe he is a good and honest man and meant no harm or disrespect - I can tell that because of some of the folks that are friends of his, and I know them to be good, honest folks. But he is set in his ways, and so far does not seem willing to accept that SI has a strict definition that he does not fully understand, probably because it is easier to not understand. It's easier to avoid change, and instead just keep plodding along the same old trail. And in so doing, intentional or not, an award went to someone that should not have received it, and someone who deserved it, lost.

Do you really believe that a stock mini cooper or a custom 62 Galaxie are legitimate Special Interest? If so, you are one of maybe a half dozen people who think so.

Look, Mike - when I first met you, I had already heard all the stories concerning Big Mike. And in spite of that, I spent the last two years giving you the benefit of the doubt. I even gave you a ton of free promotion and advertising to help you get Big Mike Creations off the ground. I never disrespected you, and always responded to you in a civil manner. I never asked anything of you. So, when you go behind my back to fuel an already sorry situation, and trash me and HotKarz behind my back while smiling to my face, I take exception to that.

That said, I bear you no ill will. Nor do I bear Oscar, or anyone else, ill will. But do not expect me to hide my head in the sand while problems go unheeded. Ain't gonna happen.

If you, or anyone else, want to have a civil discussion to work out differences, I have always been available. But if you decide to take that road, you should be forewarned that an open mind and a civil mouth and attitude are prerequisites.

/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK! Here is what I think about this whole situation. Being in the car show scene for only 3 years, I have Caught a clue as to what is what. Every one has an oppinion. There is WAY to much Block Voting, Buddy System and GOOD OL BOY NETWORK AND JUMPING OF CLASSES.I will agree with Bill The people who are Crying and whining about the Code of Conduct and the Car show book and rules are the ones BREAKING THE RULES. As faR AS TO WHAT BILL PUTS ON HIS BLOG IS NOT JUST HIS consensis ONLY. It is the words and comments of many people who come to Bill letting him know how the feel about things or pointing out what could be fixed.Than it is PARAFRAISED into his Blog. OSCAR AND BIG MIKE NEED TO GROW UP GET A CLUE ON THE CITUATION AND GET OVER THEMSELVES.Oscar's car IS NOT A SI CAR. It it a custom.He customized it to his taste. He DID NOT GIVE IT A THEME or add anything really extrodinary to it to make it special.
The things that went on at Shaw's Ridge was unbelivable. Oscar in Bill's face and than calling Robin what he did was UNEXCUSABLE!!! Big Mike Egging on the situation, laughing all the way threw it, was showing how disrespectable and inmature he is.
So with that I will say KUDOS BILL Keep it coming and most of us will stand behind you all the way no matter what.

Anonymous said...

Did I insult those people? Only in their eyes.your words not mine Then in my eye I am a MORON and I will say it again if the show dosn,t suit you STAY HOME .BUT MOST OF ALL LIGHTEN UP LIFE IS TO SHORT
Signed THE MORIN (ALIAS CHOPTOP)

Anonymous said...

WELL SAID! (to both Bill and the above poster) I couldn't have said it any better.

I think that "Big Mike" is just jealous because his mouth and attitude has given him a reputation, and by making others look bad, he tends to think this makes him look better.

As far as Oscar, having a front row seat...I couldn't believe my eyes and ears! You would think for someone of his age, he would have known how to approach you and handle things like an adult.

In my eyes ALL cars are "special" but that doesn't mean that they belong in SI either. I am so tired of walking around looking at cars, TRYING to enjoy the show, and hearing people bad mouth other contenders. Personally, that makes me and a few others, not even look twice at their car or even consider writing their number on my ballot. What's the sence? A trophy isn't going to make them feel any better about themselves.

I am personally waiting for the day that a car show will charge a $15 entry fee, and have a trophy engraver on site. Then at 3pm when the trophies are handed out, everyone gets one. Maybe then people will come back to reality and remember what we all gather for every weekend. Which should be: Spening time with good friends, good weather, good music, good food, and most importantly AMAZING CARS!